1) How ClickBank Works
2) Operating An Affiliate Account
3) Promoting Products
4) Software Tools For Affiliates
5) More Tips For Affiliates
1. How ClickBank Works
Anyone can join ClickBank as an affiliate – it’s free. When you find a product that you wish to promote, either at a vendor’s website or by searching through the ClickBank Marketplace, you will be given a unique link which you use to bring customers to the product page.
2. Operating An Affiliate Account
2.1. Opening an account
The first thing you need to do is to sign up for a ClickBank account. This information is needed so that ClickBank can send you payments. It’s free to open an account and very simple.
2.2. Getting paid
Payment is sent at pay period end time which is every 2 weeks for cheques. If you are eligible for direct deposit you can receive payment every week. Full details of the ClickBank Paycheck Policy here
3. Promoting Products
Now you are ready to promote ClickBank products and earn commission.
3.1 Choosing the product
To see the complete range visit the ClickBank Marketplace.
The MarketPlace listings are ranked by popularity though you can sort on other factors.
Against each entry is a Promote link which provides you with your affiliate link (hoplink) and shows the rate of commission you receive on selling that item.
You should aim for products with a reasonable rate of commission, no lower than 40% say, to make your efforts worthwhile. Be aware that ClickBank deducts transaction fees from a sale: here is a calculator showing the actual commission paid.
3.2 Check the sales page
Visit the sales page of the product to confirm that the sales copy does a good job of selling the product but even more important that your chances of making a sale are not reduced by the following factors
1. There are many external links which distract the visitor from reaching the order page
2. There are offers to join a mailing list or claim a free report which might mean that the vendor could later follow up these leads but you would not receive commission
3. An overt link to an affiliate sign up page: your potential customer could simply become an affiliate and purchase the product himself
4. The vendor offers multiple payment options so if ClickBank is not chosen you do not get the commission
5. The vendor uses a pop up upon exiting a site to convert a leaving visitor into a sale that does not use ClickBank
If you still want to promote such a product you can advise the vendor to use the ideas in this article How To Stop ClickBank Link Theft
3.3 Check the ClickBank order page
Visit the order page and ensure that your nickname appears in the [affiliate= ] line at the bottom of the order page. If not then you may have incorrectly formatted your link or it’s possible that the affiliate program has been discontinued.
Similarly you should periodically check that your links are working. ClickBank does not have a method to inform affiliates and vendors that links that they set up are not working
3.4 Product Links
There are 3 ways you may wish to link to a product
- The basic link to a ClickBank item
- A link to a specific product page, useful when a vendor has multiple products in one ClickBank account. If the vendor is using affiliate management software there should be provision for this. Otherwise see the software tool Affiliate Cloner in section 4.1 below.
- A link to the order form – so that you can bypass the vendor’s sales page. Details here.
3.5 Commission priority rule
If a customer has visited a sales page on more than one occasion, as a result of following links supplied by different affiliates, the rule is that the last affiliate gets the commission.
3.6 Additional ClickBank links
Here are some further links you can provide to your visitors. Replace AFFILIATE with your nickname to ensure you get the appropriate credit when the links are followed through.
1) ClickBank Signup Form
2) ClickBank Marketplace
(Note: a more profitable method is to use a ClickBank Storefront in section 4.2 below).
4. Software Tools For Affiliates
4.1 Affiliate Link Cloaking
Affiliate Cloner is a tool which provides solutions to 3 common problems:
1. The great advantage of ClickBank – the ease of signing up as an affiliate for a product – is also a weakness. It is very easy for another to replace your affiliate nickname and claim your commission. Affiliate Cloner can disguise (cloak) your affiliate links.
2. It provides a way to link to an order page (so that you can bypass the vendor’s sales page).
3. It provides a way to link to a specific product page when a vendor has multiple products in one ClickBank account.
Find more about Affiliate Cloner here.
4.2 ClickBank Storefronts
In addition to offering individual products (as shown in section 4.1) you can link to a storefront containing the MarketPlace products – each one encoded with your own affiliate link.
Here is a selection of storefronts.
4.3 Affiliate sales reporting
You can get extensive reports on all your affiliate sales using 3rd party tools here.
4.4 ClickBank Program Selector
You can run keyword searches for programs, and obtain extensive information on commission details and ranking history with these tools.
4.5 Sales Tracking
For information on how to test and track the results of your advertising click here.
5. More Tips For Affiliates
5.1 Become an affiliate expert
Learn from the experts of affiliate marketing – here is a selection of free and paid books and reports.
Back to Top